Thread: Short? Continuity throughout lighting circuit plug...?

Time Online: 59 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A

Question Short? Continuity throughout lighting circuit plug...?

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for your ideas and advise...

I have a 2003 Jeep TJ. The Fog lights weren't working so I installed new bulbs - no help. I tested for power and power IS coming from the fuse, and is detected on pin 7 in attached photo but is NOT at the fog light housing. Suggesting a break between the plug (attached image) and the fog lights.

The image attached is the side of the plug that attaches to the fog lights and other head lights & side lamps.

I tested for continuity between pin 7 of the plug to the lamps, and there IS continuity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4313.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	441.1 KB 
ID:	104956

Here's where I need help... Thing is, there is ALSO continuity across ALL pins in the diagram except pins 8 & 9. That is, I get continuity everytime my leads are plugged in to ANY of the pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 10! I'm assuming these the the +12VDC lines to all the various front exterior lights - so I wouldn't expect continuity here... what am I missing?

Could it suggest there's a short somewhere between the plug and lights??

Any ideas, or additional tests I should run?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by rsoul; 08-23-2020 at 04:53 PM. Reason: More details

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Time Online: 10 Mths 4 Wks 6 Hrs 52 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 25 Mins 30 Secs
    Without knowing what any of the other pins are for, it does sound very suspicious that there is some kind of short between all of the wires that have continuity with each other. You need to verify what all of the pins are for that have continuity with each other before going any further. The assumption is that all of that continuity across all of those pins is incorrect but that should be verified before proceeding any further.

As for digging deeper, if you have continuity across a circuit but no power at the end of it, the next thing to do is to do an ohm test on the circuit. Typically, continuity testing is enough for trouble shooting until you come to situations like this where you have continuity but no power. Generally on circuits of this size, under 10 ohms and the circuit should be fine. Over 10 ohms and there is likely damage to the circuit where continuity could be lost above a certain amperage.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Time Online: 1 Yr 5 Mths 4 Wks 1 Day 9 Hrs 57 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 42 Mins 18 Secs
    The just jeeps website has the factory service manuals online, you could get both the pinouts and the wireing diagram for your jeep there.
    2010 JK Unlimited Sahara, rubi axles, 35" duratracs, OME lift: Written off, RIP.
    2006 LJ Rubicon Lots of stuff from TMR installed by CT Motorsports (see profile if you want to know) project once more with feeling
    Quote Originally Posted by igotafrigginjeep View Post
    Listen to the wise Drizit
    Hey he said it not me.
    There Must have been a time when we could have said no.

Time Online: 1 Yr 4 Mths 3 Days 9 Hrs 18 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 37 Mins 56 Secs
    nelson?! i used to have a cabin in procter......beautiful country. the only problem i found when i lived there was that there was nowhere nice to go for vacation, lol!
    Last edited by onehoser; 08-26-2020 at 12:21 PM.
    WHAT WOULD MACGYVER DO?

2004 rubicon: 12,000 lb titan winch, 35" goodyear wranglers, staang's belly-up skid, cobra 29 cb, highline fenders, trailhead bumpers

http://www.youtube.com/user/onehosereh#p/u

VA3 HWG, OF4WD #5571, RETREAD #1

Time Online: 59 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Without knowing what any of the other pins are for, it does sound very suspicious that there is some kind of short between all of the wires that have continuity with each other. You need to verify what all of the pins are for that have continuity with each other before going any further. The assumption is that all of that continuity across all of those pins is incorrect but that should be verified before proceeding any further.

As for digging deeper, if you have continuity across a circuit but no power at the end of it, the next thing to do is to do an ohm test on the circuit. Typically, continuity testing is enough for trouble shooting until you come to situations like this where you have continuity but no power. Generally on circuits of this size, under 10 ohms and the circuit should be fine. Over 10 ohms and there is likely damage to the circuit where continuity could be lost above a certain amperage.
    Thanks you guys. I've dug deeper, found the maintenance manual, and confirmed the connector I'm looking at is the C110 connector. Here they are... I've put an astrix beside the terminals that seem to have continuity, based on the pin numbering in the maintenance manual:

1. *L7 18BK/Yl (headlamp +)
    2. *L60 TN (right turn)
    3. *L61 GY (left turn)
    4. *L3 OR (high beam +)
    5. *L4 VT/WT (low beam +)
    6. *X2 WT/RD (horn relay output)
    7. -
    8. *V10 br (washer pump +)
    9. L22 LG/DG (head lamp leveling)
    10. *G31 VT/LG (ambient temp sensor signal)
    11. *G32 BK/LB (temp sensor GROUND)
    12. -
    13. *L39 LB (front fog)
    14. L13 BR/YL (Export) (head lamp leveling)

I'm going to double check all this now that I know what is what. It does seem very strange that IF there was continuity, I wouldn't expect the horn or the headlights to work. Mind you, the wiper pump doesn't seem to be working either...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C110 Connector.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	104957

Thanks again for your help.

And yes, LOVE Nelson! But there isn't as much 4x4ing as there was when I lived in Ontario and first met some of you guys!