Thread: Dana 30/35 info needed

Time Online: 11 Hrs 5 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 2 Secs

Dana 30/35 info needed

Hey all I知 looking for info regarding the compatibility of parts from the different years of the yj axles. Number one are all Dana 30 split shaft axle parts interchangeable? Two are the non c clip Dana 35 axles capable of using the carrier and spider gears from a c clip axle? And third is there such a thing as a super 35 factory axle on a Tj just curious ?

Thanks for takin a look I appreciate any info in this area

Caistor Centre - Cultural Hub of the universe
    Time Online: 10 Mths 4 Wks 13 Hrs 9 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online: 25 Mins 10 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaygould6669 View Post
    Hey all I知 looking for info regarding the compatibility of parts from the different years of the yj axles. Number one are all Dana 30 split shaft axle parts interchangeable?
    Yes.

Two are the non c clip Dana 35 axles capable of using the carrier and spider gears from a c clip axle?
    Yes.

And third is there such a thing as a super 35 factory axle on a Tj just curious ?
    No. The Super 35 term originates from aftermarket axle parts manufacturers making stronger shafts kits for the 35. But there is nothing Super about a 35 and if you need something stronger in the back, do not spend a dime on it and look for something else. The Explorer 8.8 swap is popular.
    A Member of:
    New Frontier 4x4 Club
    OF4WD 4928 & 6687

1980 CJ Juggy
    2004 GC 4.7 HO Overland

"Simple, yet functional....like a Sledgehammer"

Quote Originally Posted by CTD NUT View Post
    Yes.

Yes.

No. The Super 35 term originates from aftermarket axle parts manufacturers making stronger shafts kits for the 35. But there is nothing Super about a 35 and if you need something stronger in the back, do not spend a dime on it and look for something else. The Explorer 8.8 swap is popular.
    The super 35 I知 asking about was more for a friend that has a supposed super under it but the axle bearings are gone and the axle flops around when the mechanic looked into parts the guy told him it was a rare super 35 only found in certain Jeeps but I figured it was just aftermarket stuff thanks for all the great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could very well have a Super 35 kit installed. These kits have larger axle shafts which would mean different axle shaft bearings than the OEM. However, there is nothing rare about it. It's just a readily available aftermarket parts kit. If by rare, he meant uncommon, I could agree with that - most people have enough sense not to spend a bunch of money installing stronger shafts and upgrading the carrier on a 35. That makes no sense and epitomizes the notion of 'polishing a turd'.

Some late non-Rubi TJ's got a D44 rear...which shares nothing in common with the 35. That could be regarded as rare. Maybe that is where the confusion lies.

It could possibly be I知 not entirely sure I guess I値l have to take a look at it myself sometime for him and see what he actually has because it made no sense to me either why someone would super kit a 35 when scrap yard axles are fairly cheap in comparison. Well I知 on axle subject in my rear early model yj rear end could I put just the ring and pinion outta the late model yj axle as the front I wanna seal out anyway but I don稚 have another early model with 4.10 gears just the newer one with the smaller brakes and the shitty c- clip axle shafts

Yes, you can do that but it will require a new gear set up. As long as you are prepared and have the knowledge to set up gear sets, the swap should not be an issue.

Lol ok I致e never set up a hear set but I致e rebuilt plenty of engines so I知 sure I can pull it off thanks for the info

You are going to need a bearing press and puller and a magnetic mount depth gauge for checking backlash. You will also need pattern paste and shims. Between the two axles, you might have the shims you need...or you might not. If you are not familiar with the process, watch some youtube videos and decide if it is something you want to take on. The job is simple of enough BUT there is some tedious measuring and checking and a bunch of nuances that are critical to making sure the mesh of the two gears is set up correctly. I would always recommend that a first timer set up gears with some oversight from someone seasoned. Failure to insure correct mesh of the gears leads to a very premature gear failure.

Good to know thanks again